Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Caramelized Onions

Caramelized Onions

Why has it taken 28 years for me to like caramelized onions? Ever since I found out how yummy it was, I've made it about 3 times a week and a whole onions is just enough for me. It's my new veggie "crack". I gotta have the onions! Give me the onions! Oh, they don't make you have funky breath which is a big deal!


In a cast-iron skillet, heat up a mixture of coconut oil and ghee, enough to coat the pan.
Start with taking the ends off the onion and peeling it. Don't cry, it'll be over before you know it. Cut the onion in half and start slicing small slices.


Throw everything in the heated pan and add some salt. I use sea salt and I make sure I have a lot on there. When it's caramelized, it's salty and sweet, but that's how I like it.



This is how it will look after a little while on medium heat. It will take 15-20 minutes depending on how "done" you like your onions to be. Me? I like mine really dark in color.


This is what one yellow onions looks like when it's cooked down. I put the entire thing on my chicken for lunch and it was SO delicious! You've got to give it a try!



I'll post other recipes later and will link back here for them. In the picture, I have my caramelized onions on top of my chicken, fried artichokes, spaghetti squash and half an avocado. It was an amazingly healthy meal. Go Whole30!

Eat and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete