Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chicken Burger

Since the birth of my youngin, Owen, I had felt a little tubby in the mid-section and wanted to start eating better. I love desserts but I had to start thinking of new foods to make that are more healthy. I have never tried ground chicken meat and decided I would pick up a pack of it at the store the other day. I was going to make meatballs but we don't eat a ton of pasta so I made a chicken burger instead. It was SO good! I didn't miss anything from not having hamburger meat. I do believe this is a start of a new, healthy relationship with ground chicken.

Here's what I did:
1lb. ground chicken
1tsp rotisserie seasoning. You can find this in the seasoning aisle in your store
pinch of salt
olive oil cooking spray or 1tsp olive oil

Get a skillet nice and hot on the stove and spray it with olive oil cooking spray, or add 1tsp olive oil. I added the rotisserie seasoning to about 1/4 cup of chicken meat and rolled it into a ball and formed a chicken patty. Once the skillet was hot, I put the chicken in and cooked it, flipping a few times, for about 8-10 minutes. When the juices run clear, you'll know it's ready to consume!
Here's a tip with meats and their juices ... If you press down a lot and make the juice come out, you're only drying out your protein. Instead of pressing and squeezing it a lot, just press lightly when you think it should be done - around the 8 minute mark or so.

For the dressing on the buns, I mixed ketchup and ranch dressing. I eat this combination with chicken all the time so why should I skimp out now? This is really tasty!

I had a salad and butternut squash with it as well and will post my butternut squash recipe at another time (and will update this post when I do).

Let me know what you think!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment